shilling for my feature request [1926]

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Sat Jul 31 00:09:10 EDT 2004

On Jul 30, 2004, at 11:48 PM, Mark Brownell wrote:

> So...
> These new split functions would allow us to set our own rules for
> next(), nextTag(), and nextText() while streaming fragments out of of
> full XML documents. This is because we would have high speed functions
> to pull data out of large documents and the need for not relying on
> the streaming method would leave those current pull-parser
> implementations further behind.
>
> MTML breaks the rules in a way that XML was never meant to. MTML
> element type tag sets can begin within an other tag set and end
> outside these other tag sets. This would break most XML parsers and
> even some of the new streaming designs that are designed as
> implementations of pull-parsing. All this adds up to the designer of
> the data structure being able to run modified and simple data
> transfers. "This is a good thing" Martha Stewart. It's better to dust
> off your competitors if you can offer the option. Development time
> within RunRev including this kind of data structuring can be a winning
> combination for you when it comes to offering services.

Very interesting. You certainly are quite the evangelist for the merits
of pull-parsing. I read the reference docs, but I have to admit, I'm
not the parsing method connoisseur I suppose I should be. I've always
used the "whatever works" approach. To that end, I've used both DOM and
SAX, and rolled-my-own in other instances. I'm still not positive I'd
know when to say "this needs a pull-parser!" Nor can I claim to fully
understand all the benefits and efficiencies of MTML, fortunately, I
doubt I am alone in that.  ;-)
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.