Unable to delete file from user space

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Jul 30 19:12:38 EDT 2004

At 15:18 30/07/2004 -0700, Trevor DeVore wrote:

>On Jul 30, 2004, at 2:55 PM, Troy Rollins wrote:
>>
>>FWIW - Director does this (closes the IDE) if the "quit" command is used.
>>Using "halt" in Director stops the movie, but does not quit the IDE. So
>>to me, it doesn't look like a bug, it just looks like Revolution is
>>written in Revolution.
>>
>>Although Director is not written in Director - which in some ways is
>>better, some worse.

Noted - maybe it's a different mindset for x-talk like languages versus
others (and I haven't made the mind-transition. ( yet :-)

>If you don't want to quit in the development environment just use this line:
>
>if environment() <> "development" then quit

It's not a question of avoiding it in the stack - it's whether or not an
IDE should allow itself to be killed off by the application it is
running/debugging. In the "normal" programming world, the debugger (or IDE)
is "in charge of" and "controlling" the application it is running, and
wouldn't allow the application to cause the IDE to exit. (Indeed, trapping
premature exit of the application is one of the primary tasks of a debugger :-)

In the more "integrated" style of Rev (and perhaps Director, but I have no
experience of it), it may seem reasonable to allow the app to have this
level of control over the IDE - though I can't get myself adjusted to the
idea that a programming choice within an app should kill the IDE.

I'm 90% convinced that since all the experienced Rev'ers are saying this is
OK, I should just accept it (and shut up :-)

But I'm 10% convinced that there is a "blinkered vision" effect for
experienced users looking at Rev behaviour, and that that effect prevents
long-time Rev'ers from seeing just how this looks to someone using Player
or Rev-IDE for the first time (and since there are far more people in the
latter category than the first, I should keep go ahead with pushing the
argument that this is a bug).

I'm probably "pushing a rope uphill", so I'll go with the 90%

-- Alex.