Cross-platform fonts...what is everyone else doing?

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Tue Jul 27 21:09:47 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> "Lucida Grande" is not installed with XP.  What you should be seeing is
> actually Tahoma, or whatever font is your system default.

No, it wasn't Lucida *grand* but some other Lucida face.

> If you see a mix of fonts, remember that there is a limitation I didn't
> note earlier:  if you set the textSize, textStyle, or textHeight of an
> object it will also assign the textFont, using the current effective
> textFont.

Ummm, I'm not certain I understand this.  In any case, why is it
okey-dokey for the first several cards and then completely incorrect for
the remainder?  I only used just the two fonts -- Trebuchet MS and Comic
Sans MS.  The systems I tested them on all had those two fonts installed.
I was able to "fix" them back correctly under the Windows systems having
the problems.

I just don't get it...

> So if you're setting a control's textStyle to bold, then yes, the
> textfont will become assigned to that control.  But if the assignment is
> for a font that doesn't exist, it should be rendered using the system's
> default font.  If not, it would be interesting to know which one is
> being used (which would have to be done visually since the engine
> doesn't report the true effective textFont).

That's just it -- the font DOES EXIST.  That's what really has me
scratching my head ( and uttering various unmentionables under my
breath...)

Judy