Rev player

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Tue Jul 27 12:18:01 EDT 2004

Robert Brenstein said:

> it will surely be the runtime environment for stacks produced in
> DreamCard, but I suspect that a number of people using Rev will also
> opt to distribute their products as stacks, like it used to be with
> HyperCard player.

I may be missing something here, but I can't imagine any situation in
which I would choose to prefer to distribute a product I create as a
stack to be run in the Player rather than as a compiled standalone
application. I suppose in some specialized situations or closed
environments like classrooms one might for some reason prefer this
approach. But I see the Player as a natural companion to Dreamcard, a
way for a Dreamcard developer to distribute stacks to others who don't
own Dreamcard or Revolution.

The HC player was needed because there was no authorized way to compile
stacks into applications, leaving anyone without the HyperCard program
itself no way to use stacks. That is not the case with Rev.

So what am I not understanding?