REALbasic clarifications (was Express to Dreamcard)

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Fri Jul 23 11:41:08 EDT 2004

Hey I spoted a spy! Joking! Hi David, welcome to our community.

Yes, your revisions are indeed free. and I didn't tested versions 5.x
where x is bigger than 2... the last version I tested was 5.2.4

What I disliked about your carbon implementation was that in the first
releases 4.x it manage to screw my labels, like randomizing the colors
of some of the letters with no explanation why. Also I used to have
frequent crashes in the IDE while creating my old iBlog program
(http://iblog.soapdog.org) you can see it was built with RB 4.5.2, I
never got to switch to 5.x because all my socket code went to dust
since you changed your RB code, but that was not a problem, the socket
class got better indeed.

Before switching to Revolution, back in system 9 I could swear by RB...
then it came MacOS X. Without the desire to spend money in RB Licenses
no longer for two reasons: 1) that was a personal choice, I live in
Brazil, dollar was 4:1 in that time... I made the switch to
Objective-C/Cocoa. After sometime I evaluated Revolution 1.1, it simply
worked, it was easy. I could create a full blog client with basic
XML-RPC in hours, I spend eons on RB to do the same thing and yet on
the 3.x and 4.x series of RB (and I used it for a very long time...). I
could not live without it any longer and bought my Revolution Studio
License for I could cross compile for every platform.

I did not test the 5.5.x branch. My old RB codebase is legacy, I think
it would not run today... I was very disapointed with 4.x and the first
carbon releases, they keep crashing and it was weird.

But that's the Rev community mail list, if you want to talk about my
likes and dislikes of RB please feel welcome to contact me at my mail
soapdog at mac.com

Now it's more a paradigm shift that keeps me away from REALBasic, I
just can't live without coding in Transcript, it's so plain easy, and
my code even run on SGI... I never saw a platform so net-savvy and so
easy and a community so connected. I don't need that code-compile-debug
cycle anymore... I can create stacks, cards, control and even code at
runtime. My software can without any modification run almost everywhere
and my workflow is now a very pleasant experience, I think that
Revolution/Metacard bring back the fun of programming that experience
that I longed again for, I even like doing CRM software in Rev...

Your software introduced me into Programming for the Macintosh, I was a
Windows user that worked with delphi, the switch was easy and I learned
much from it, I thank you all for that.

Cheers
andre

--