Rev 2.5b Interface

Derek Bump webmaster at dreamscapesoftware.com
Thu Jul 22 18:11:38 EDT 2004

> > 1. How many windows can pop up at the same time?  The first time I launched it
> > both the Application Browser and Revolution Online were open (along with Tools
> > and the Menu Bar).  This definately doesn't need to happen.  Show the Menubar
> > and the tools palette.  Don't confuse the people who are new to Revolution.
> > Just because it's an update doesn't mean it's not someone's first time using
> > it.  Keep it simple.
>
> Remember that in the release version, the Learning Center will be
> functional.  That's one of the key uses of Rev Online for new users, it
> brings access to tutorials and samples in just one click.

I think my point was missed on this one.  Don't force the user to view all windows/palettes the first time they launch it.  Let the user decide if they want to view the Application Browser.

> > The Tools Palette
> > 1. Now it's now bigger and take up even more screen space.
>
> The icons are clearer, the previous one was too small, people had trouble
> finding things.

I feel a solution for this difference in opinion would be to allow a Choice in the Preferences.  Big or Small icons.  Docked or Palette.  Drag & Drop or Point & Click.

> > 2. Supports Drag & Drop but doesn't conform to the Grid.  Requiring you to
> > re-drag it to align to the grid.
>
> That should be possible to fix.

If this got fixed then I'd love the feature!

> > 3. Does this make it easier for people to post destructive stacks?  In my
> > experience, if I were to download a program from within Revolution, I would
> > trust that it won't do anything bad to my computer.  I'm worried that
> > Revolution Online allows people to submit Trojan Horses with the appearance of
> > a trusted stack.  Is there a filter for a posted stack?
>
> There certainly is a potential exposure here, in that anyone can post stacks
> to the User Spaces area.  That said, most people here know each other and an
> individual has to sign up to Rev Online to post, making it hard to be
> anonymous, so I think the risk is fairly minimal.  Anyone posting stacks
> that do damage will be removed from Rev Online.  That said, if you aren't
> sure about who is providing something then don't download it, or use the
> Player, which is a more secure environment.

Well, with the test I just did...it's not hard to be anonymous.  In fact, it's a Snap!  Get a hotmail account, request your key, setup your account and upload your stack.  I mean, if I loaded a stack from RevOnline and all the stack did was email my Microsoft PassPort information to some server in Baghdad, I'd be kind of worried.

I guess my opinion on Rev Online is this:  I will not support it in any way what-so-ever until some sort of Security is implimented within it.  It is wide open to hackers and does nothing more than provide a front door to an individuals system (Macintosh, Windows or Unix/Linux).  All they have to do is open the door.

> Thanks for the feedback.

Your Welcome.  Like I said earlier, I love Revolution and what it has done for me, but there are some areas that I see problems (in my opinion) and I just want to get my voice out there.  But thanks for listening.

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software