Rev 2.5 Beta - Hits

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Jul 22 14:01:05 EDT 2004

I know we are trying to air out the bugs and frustrations, but may I
just comment on some of the hits?

Things I love about the new version:

1. The improved image library. Finally, a really clean, usable library.
Although I'd still like to see thumbnails of large imported images
rather than a chunk out of the middle of the image, at least the
portion showed is larger now, giving us a better chance of visually
identifying which image it is. And now with 2-dimensional resizing of
the library window, the visible portions of large images also grow or
shrink along with the windows. Great work!

2. Proportional resizing of image objects! Holding down the Shift key
now constrains images proportionally instead of forcing it to a square.

3. One vote in favor of the new look of the tools palette icons. They
are much clearer; I can see at a glance what the new control will look
like. Especially helpful for the various styles of menu buttons and
scrollbars.

4. The ability to Hide/Reveal graphic objects and paint tools on the
tool palette. Brilliant, especially bringing the paint tools onto the
same palette with all the others, where they belonged all along.

5. The redesigned documentation. A few quibbles remain, but in general
a huge leap forward from its multi-window, screen-gobbling predecessor.

6. Command(control)-alt-click to edit scripts instead of the unnerving
command-alt-hover.

I'm sure I'll discover more hits (and some bugs) as I continue to test.
All-in-all an impressive release of our favorite development tool.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University