Express to Dreamcard

Bob Hartley bob at armbase.com
Thu Jul 22 12:14:39 EDT 2004

At 16:58 22/07/2004, you wrote:
>On 22/7/04 4:05 pm, "Alex Tweedly" <alex at tweedly.net> wrote:
>
> >> Dreamcard is good news for the community as a whole, we're very excited
> >> about the possibilities it opens up.
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand properly just exactly what the Player does allow.
> > The Player in the 2.5B1 distribution only allows me to connect to Rev
> > on-line; does that mean I can't send a stack directly to a Player-owner and
> > have them use it ? Can they only get it via Rev online ?
>
>You can send them a stack and run it directly with the Player.  Express used
>to only allow delivery on the same platform it was purchased on, with the
>Player you can deliver to all of them.

I'm warming to the runtime now.

>The problem we were faced with was this: over the last couple of years, the
>dollar has slid enormously relative to the pound.  We used to tie all our
>prices against the dollar, even the UK prices were billed in dollars.  It
>was simpler to have one price, and the dollar was the most commonly used.
>The problem was that as that slid, *all* our sales to all countries,
>including the UK, started to slide as well, as they were fixed against this
>value.  This was a really bad situation to be in.  One option was simply to
>increase the product price.  The problem with that was that the US market is
>very competitive in relation to software, and our research indicated that it
>would damage our sales to increase prices across the board in this market.
>So the other option was to start tying prices in markets other than the US
>to prices to our native currency, here in the UK.  We ended up splitting the
>pricing such that the UK and all international prices are fixed against the
>pound, and only US citizens can purchase from us in dollars.  The price is
>still the same for US citizens - remember that a dollar in the US is still
>worth a dollar to someone living in the US, it hasn't "slid" over the past
>couple of years relative to that market.  And the price in the rest of the
>world is exactly the same as it was before the dollar currency slide, and
>the same as it will be when the dollar recovers.  We're still substantially
>worse off because of the high volume of US sales that we do, but at least
>we're not losing money in Europe and Australia because the *US* dollar is so
>weak.  What we're doing isn't any different from what most other companies
>do, and we really do not have a choice.  That's just how it is - if anyone
>with experience with international currency trading has wishes to propose a
>different solution, feel free to email me off list!

Ok that is clear and acceptable to me.
Out  of interest. I used to have a PUB and a 1/4 gill (measure ) + a beer
was 99p (yes I am that old) the price of a whisky went up so the total came
to £1.02 (above the psychological level) and sales fell dramatically. So we
reduced the measure to 1/5th a gill and charged 98p

Sales rocketed again. Even although the customer was getting poor deal.
i now see how the global price is £ but the USA is kept special because of
the 199 barrier etc.

Is the special upgrade from express to studio still $99? :-)

Sorry kevin, I could not resist this.

All the best
Bob; Sunny Glasgow