The 2.5 debugger

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jul 22 11:54:04 EDT 2004

At 14:26 21/07/2004 -0400, SimPLsol at aol.com wrote:

>I downloaded the 2.5 beta this morning and went immediately to the debugger.
>Lots of improvements! Thanks!

Yes, some nice improvements - but not some of the ones I was hoping for.
So now that I know that, it's time to put them into Bugzilla as enhancement
requests.

And as I started to do that, I decided one of them might be a bug rather
than an enhancement request (and some of them might be my mis-use or lack
of knowledge).

So I'll ask for help / comments from the list ... and then enter these into
Bugzilla accordingly.

1. In Script Debug mode, click in left margin to set a breakpoint on a line.
Then add (or delete) a line above that in the script.
The breakpoint indicator stays still, while the code text moves - so the
breakpoint is now on a different line from where I wanted it.
Bug or enhancement ?

2. Variable watcher.
a. display multi-line variables condensed onto single line
     (option/pref for what char to use in place of cr ?)
b. option to "hide" variables - or  to only display selected variables.

both enhancements (unless they can be done now and I missed seeing how).
Disagree ?
One enhancement request or two separate enhancements?

3. Documentation for the Variable Watcher.
The only documentation I can find for this is in the FAQ under Writing
Transcript / How do I monitor a variable's value while debugging.
Shouldn't there be a Topic devoted to debug mode,and the features and usage
of the various features used in debug mode.

4. Variable watcher - stop on condition.
the tip mentioned above says "click to the left on the variable name in
variable watcher. To stop when the variable equals an expression, enter the
expression into the dialog box and click OK. To stop whenever the variable
changes, click Cancel instead".

A. This doesn't seem to work for me - can't get it to stop whenever a value
changes
B. click Cancel SHOULD mean "make no change" - not be the way to get some
effect

More later,
Alex.