scrollbar problems: Scrolling a blank stack

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 22 01:30:24 EDT 2004

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:
> At 3:14 PM -0700 7/21/2004, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> The key word was "interactively", such as a user of a drawing progrram
>> would expect to do with one of the graphic tools.
>

> Hmmm. I guess I was thinking one would fake this - let the user draw out
> an object, then on mouseRelease, create it in the group using the create
> command.

In theory, yes.  But in practice there are drawbacks:

For an experienced developer it just looks too wonky when an object's
rect extends back the bounds of the group; it's drawn on top of the
scrollbars, and looks to the user like a bug.

For the new Rev developer requiring this extra bit of smoke-and-mirrors
is a very unintuitive solution to what is a simple problem in SuperCard
and ToolBook.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation