help with speedy graphics

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jul 21 13:18:23 EDT 2004

At 08:31 21/07/2004 -0700, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>Alex Tweedly wrote:
>>Taking positions and colours from an actual data structure (rather than
>>generating random points) I still get draw times for (10k points) under
>>20 ticks - feels very fast, but not instantaneous.
>
>Compared to other vector programs that's pretty good.  Try displaying that
>many objects in AppleWorks, Illustrator, Freehand, OmniGraffle, or other
>vector program and I think you'll find the Rev engine's handling of this
>to be more or less on par.

Yeah, it's pretty respectable.
I'm perfectly happy with the 20 ticks for initial draw and 4-5 for
incremental draws, it feels very responsive.

This has been the strongest - but far from the only - example where I've
implemented something in  Revolution in the "obvious" way (that's "obvious
- to someone who's not yet thinking in chunk / text  lines) and been
horrified by the abysmally slow performance.  Then a few questions to the
list, some helpful replies, a quick re-design into "The Transcript Way" and
suddenly it becomes not just OK, but quite good. (I can't call this example
"good" yet - wxPython does a non-optimized version of this at about 3 times
the speed of the best I can get in Rev - but definitely "quite good").

So in case I haven't said it recently - the folks who provide all the help
on this list are probably the best feature of Revolution - thanks !!

-- Alex.