Trapping mousedown with control key or right click

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 21 13:35:18 EDT 2004

Bill wrote:

> on mouseDown theButton -- make database find on Control/Right-click
>   if theButton is 3 then
>     ask "Find... in" && the name of the target
>   else
>     pass mouseDown
>   end if
> end mouseDown
>
> Which works absolutely perfect and does what someone posted earlier. The
> "theButton" is 3 means that we are holding the control key down an a
> mousedown and it works perfectly. I posted this in case someone else tried
> to make the earlier mousedown handler work so they wouldn't have to go
> through all the same frustrations.

One of the hardest lessons I learned when I first started working with
Transcript was just how anomalous Mac OS is compared to most other
operating systems.  The omni-platform nature of the engine required me
to do some "unlearning" about what constitutes "standard" behaviors.

The early usefulness of the Mac's single-button mouse was wonderful, but
now that a majority of people in post-industrial nations own computers
there's an argument that it's time to give Mac users the benefits of a
two-button mouse.

Contextual menus are a very useful UI element, but are cumbersome on the
Mac with its one-button mouse, requiring two hands to activate them.  As
a result contextual menus are underutilized on Mac OS, or implemented
poorly (too many Mac programs ignore the universal HIG convention of
having all items in contextual menus also available in the primary menu
bar or through some other means).

Given the benefits of the two-button mouse (and that most of the NeXT
team driving OS X came from a world of three-button mice as is common in
Unixland), I hold by my prediction that Apple will do themselves and
their customers the favor of shipping with a two-button mouse within a
year.  When an outsider like me suggest this it may seem like heresy to
the faithful flock, but mark my words Steve will get a standing ovation
when he rolls it out (heck, he gets a standing ovation for darn near
anything; at WWDC he got thundering applause when he explained how far
behind Intel the AIM architecture is -- an enviable reality distortion
field; how nice would it be if you got applause from your boss when you
tell him his project will be late again <g>).

In the meantime, from time to time you'll likely encounter circumstances
like this one where the Mac Way is so different from the way all other
GUIs work that a little unlearning will be required.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation