Object paths?

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Tue Jul 20 16:54:40 EDT 2004

On Jul 20, 2004, at 4:30 PM, Brian Yennie wrote:

> I dunno if this helps at all, but if the issue is with opening some
> other stack mid-script and having that affect your object references
> later in the script, you could consider wrapping up your own stack
> opening routine which maintains the defaultStack:
>
> on openStackSafe stackName
>    put the defaultStack into saveDefaultStack
>    open stack stackName
>    set the defaultStack to saveDefaultStack
> end openStackSafe

Thanks Brian, this is similar to the technique I described, too. In
some case, it works, of course.

> Or is it more than you have long-running background scripts that
> interact with specific stacks?

Exactly, and generally, those scripts, instead of messing about with
the defaultStack, just address their issues using explicit paths. It
would seem that sometimes explicit paths are the most straightforward
way to deal with the issue. Probably the only real error I made was in
assuming that others had encountered the need for similar pathing
syntax due to extensive use of callbacks and async operations.
Basically, my program loads and unloads stacks, creates objects and new
stacks, saves stacks... many many times, and frequently with no user
interaction whatsoever - all based on callbacks and data received from
network and serial sources at relatively unknown intervals.

But further on this... if the defaultStack is closed, what determines
what the new defaultStack is?
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.