Object paths?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Jul 20 13:13:28 EDT 2004

> Based on reading this, my guess would have to be that often the
> defaultStack is not what I think it is at any given time, or more
> specifically, portions of my code my not be aware that other portions
> of my code have opened another stack, thereby changing the
> defaultStack... so I frequently resort to the first version, which
> looks like the long name less the file path to the actual stack file.
>
> It seems that the whole defaultStack thing is aimed at a very linear
> and procedural type of coding. "When the user clicks this
> button, this
> happens." My code is full of callbacks and asynchronous routines via
> "send in time." "When the user clicks this button, six other
> non-related things may be happening at the same time (at
> least insomuch
> as a non-threaded tool can make them happen at the same time.)" I
> really have no way of determining what some other portion of the app
> has modified, or opened... so I use very explicit paths to
> ensure that
> my messages are received.

If you have all kinds of non-linear stuff going on, with stacks being able
to be opened or activated while other scripts are running, you're right that
you can't depend on the context at any given time, and so in that case,
Troy, I think you're doing the right thing. It may be a pain to work with
long descriptors, but at least they are absolutely specific.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/