RunRev and Arabic?

Devin Asay devin_asay at
Tue Jul 20 10:49:56 CDT 2004

The key to using any non-Latin writing system in Rev is understanding
unicode. There doesn't seem to be any shortcut; you just have to dig
into the Rev documentation on unicode and start trying examples.

That being said, here are a couple of 'Aha!' insights that I've made:

1. A reliable way to imbed non-Latin text in a Rev field for
cross-platform deployment is to select the language using your OS's
language input tools. Then save the htmlText of that field; I find it
works well to store it in a custom property. When you need to display
the text with the non-Latin characters, simply set the htmlText of fld
"myFld" to the customPropWithHTMLText of fld "myFld".

2. To reliably display the text of an Arabic (or other non-Latin) web
page, keep in mind that most non-Latin web pages are encoded as UTF-8.
Use the following command to get the contents of the page and display
it properly (I got this from the use-revolution list archives, but
forgot who supplied it. So anonymous thanks to Mr. ?????.):

set the unicodetext of fld "myfld" to uniencode(url

Fast and reliable.