Object paths?

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Tue Jul 20 00:16:58 CDT 2004

On Jul 20, 2004, at 12:56 AM, Ken Ray wrote:

> Troy, is there some specific reason you need to get the long name (or
> long
> identifier) of an object? The only reason I ask is that 99% of the
> time I
> don't need long identifiers; either a short (fld "Test") or
> abbreviated (fld
> "Test" of group "MyGroup") identifier has usually worked for me.

Who knows?  ;-)

To be honest, I'm never quite sure what level of path I need. I've
probably been "over-pathing" the whole time. I found that I got a lot
of "can't find this or that" errors... usually because something was in
a group (I think). A lot of this leads back to the questions I had
about the message path not long ago. Frankly, I think I'm still a bit
bewildered about just what is available when, and from where. Most of
my problems went away if I used explicit paths to objects and their
scripts, so I'm probably over-compensating and "spelling it out" all
the time. The whole shifting of the defaultStack, the scope of "this
(object)", I probably don't understand the rules under Transcript - so
I've been using what I got working.

Believe me, I'd rather use the shortest path... some of the paths I've
been using are downright (the "U" of the "G" of the "L" of the "Y").

I'm writing software that works well in Transcript, but I'm a long way
from understanding it, and it is a long way from what I know.
RPSystems, Ltd.