Object paths?

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Tue Jul 20 01:16:58 EDT 2004

On Jul 20, 2004, at 12:56 AM, Ken Ray wrote:

> Troy, is there some specific reason you need to get the long name (or
> long
> identifier) of an object? The only reason I ask is that 99% of the
> time I
> don't need long identifiers; either a short (fld "Test") or
> abbreviated (fld
> "Test" of group "MyGroup") identifier has usually worked for me.

Who knows?  ;-)

To be honest, I'm never quite sure what level of path I need. I've
probably been "over-pathing" the whole time. I found that I got a lot
of "can't find this or that" errors... usually because something was in
a group (I think). A lot of this leads back to the questions I had
about the message path not long ago. Frankly, I think I'm still a bit
bewildered about just what is available when, and from where. Most of
my problems went away if I used explicit paths to objects and their
scripts, so I'm probably over-compensating and "spelling it out" all
the time. The whole shifting of the defaultStack, the scope of "this
(object)", I probably don't understand the rules under Transcript - so
I've been using what I got working.

Believe me, I'd rather use the shortest path... some of the paths I've
been using are downright (the "U" of the "G" of the "L" of the "Y").
;-)

I'm writing software that works well in Transcript, but I'm a long way
from understanding it, and it is a long way from what I know.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.