RevGoURL filetypes in OS 9

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Jul 19 22:08:33 EDT 2004

On 7/19/04 7:05 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

 > On 15 Jul 2004, at 3:34 am, J. Landman Gay wrote:
 >
 >> I am creating files that need to be opened in the user's default
 >> browser. In OS X I can do this by setting the filetype to "????????"
 >> which forces OS X to use the default browser. Since revGoURL uses
 >> AppleScript on Macs, I suspect this filetype will cause the file to
 >> open in TextEdit on OS 9. If someone here knows the correct filetype
 >> to use on MacOS 9 it will save me some experimentation time (or will
 >> the generic one above work?)
 >
 > What if you set the filetype to "????HTML" - would that be enough to
 > convince it to use the default browser. Even on OS 9, if there is no
 > filetype set i.e. set it to empty, would the extension ".html" not be
 > enough to force it to use the default browser?

Thanks for the response, Sarah, you were the only one. I did some
experimenting with this. Leaving the code as "????????", even with an
".html" extension, causes OS 9 to put up a dialog asking what app to use
for the file. When I tried setting it to "????HTML" all I got was a
dialog saying it couldn't be opened because the app couldn't be found --
and no option to choose one. Too bad, because your idea sounded promising.

 >> I can use an IE creator code as a last resort, but I don't want to.
 >
 > No, I hate it when apps insist on starting something other than my
 > chosen browser.

I detest it. But for now, that's what I had to do. I wish there was some
other way. I always wondered why so many of my OS 9 apps forced me to
use IE, and now I think I know.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com