OOP Transcript

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Mon Jul 19 21:53:20 EDT 2004

On Jul 19, 2004, at 5:38 PM, Troy Rollins wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2004, at 8:15 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:
>
>> My conclusion: you can't turn a procedural language into an OO
>> language anyone really *wants* to use. Don't try.
>
> Director's Lingo made that transition. Lot's of people like to use it.

I don't know if "lots of people like to use it" or not. The LIngo OO
model was never quite pure (with the parent thing distracting from the
real issues). I documented part of that stuff and still didn't see the
core OO stuff I'd hoped for.

And I would say that even if everyone who writes Lingo code likes using
the OO features, that is still a minuscule audience. (Though admittedly
probably still larger than the Transcript audience...yet.)
>> Dan (ducking back into his own little Smalltalk world)
>
> Not low enough. ;-)
What do you expect from an old guy with bad knees?