Object paths?

Martin Baxter martin at materiaprima.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 02:43:42 EDT 2004

>On 7/18/04 8:22 PM, Troy Rollins wrote:
>
>> Is there already some means to do this, and I have overlooked it?
>>
>> e.g. select and object, do something which copies its path to the
>> clipboard, paste into the script window, and get a result like -
>>
>> button "myButton" of group "MainControls" of group "ControlPanel" of
>> card "Main Interface" of stack "My cool program"
>
>Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:
>You mean, like:
>
>set the clipboardData to the long name of the selectedObject

I had bad experiences doing that. When pasting rev would crash. I suspected
that it was interpreting the clipboarddata as an object reference and
supposing that you are trying to paste a copied object, and then either;
couldn't find any object data to paste, or more likely it rebelled at the
attempt to paste 'an object' into a field.

This occurred some time ago when I tried to write a plugin that allowed
picking up object references to the clipboard by pointing at them.
Everything worked fine except rev always crashed when I tried to paste the
clipboarddata into a field, and so I gave it up in the end.

This may be a resolved issue by now or platform specific, I don't know
because haven't tried to do it since.

Martin Baxter