weird behavior

Wouter wouter.abraham at pi.be
Sun Jul 18 07:10:19 EDT 2004

Re: weird behavior
	• 	From: Alex Tweedly
	• 	 Subject: Re: weird behavior
	• 	 Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:03:36 -0700

>> At 23:24 17/07/2004 +0200, Wouter wrote:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>

>> Some weird behavior.

-- snip

>  I saw something like this when I was trying my "speedy graphics"
> examples, but thought it was just something I had done wrong. Or
> rather, was still doing wrong - I kept seeing odd behaviour that I
> don't understand, and was kind of stuck in trying to complete the
> project.
>  So I'm really glad you sent this email :-)
>
> Looking into it some more, with this hint in mind, I think I have a
> clearer picture.
>
> I think you have a malformed polygon. From the Transcipt dictionary
> (points entry):
>

> A blank line in the points indicates that the previous and next
> vertexes are not connected by a line--that is, the line, curve, or
> polygon is broken into two (or more) pieces. If the last line of the
> points of a polygon is blank, the polygon is not closed. A closed
> polygon's start point (the first line of its points property) is the
> same as its end point (the last line of its points property).
>
> NB:
> An open polygon has a blank last line
> A closed polygon has the last line == first.
>
>  Your example, like many of mine, had neither of those conditions
> true. So I guess it is, strictly speaking, malformed - and hence the
> behaviour could be undefined.
>
> I've been unable to see any failure with any example where I had a
> properly formed polygon according to specification.
>
> I still think it can be considered a bug - but at least it can be
> avoided / worked around.
>
> -- Alex.

Hi all responders,

I know this is  a malformed polygon. But the question remains.
Why is rev adding the extra line and metacard does not.?

The answer lies in 1 of the properties of the graphic!!!!

When a graphic is set to polygon, the < opaque > property is set to
false in metacard and to true in revolution.
Setting this property to true in metacard makes it add the extra line
at the end of the list of points.
Setting this property to false in revolution stops it adding a line to
the list of points.

So it is not really a bug :-)

Greetings,
WA