save as for text file?

Rich Lague laguer at ucs.orst.edu
Sat Jul 17 15:48:08 EDT 2004

I'm trying to create an application in which the user will fill in a
table field. I would then like to let the user save that field as a
text file under a name they chose.

This was my first attempt:

on mouseUp
   ask "Save list as..."
   set the defaultFolder to "/Users/rlague/Documents/Revolution-iB/RFP
projecto/7.2i"
   put field "daTable" into URL "file:it.txt"
end mouseUp

This script did work-- it saved the file, but the file name was "it.txt"

For my second attempt I copied most of a script from Dan Shafer's book
(page 218,)--

on mouseUp
   ask "Save list as..."
   set the defaultFolder to "/Users/rlague/Documents/Revolution-iB/RFP
projecto/7.2i"
   open file it
   write card field "daTable" to file it
   close it
end mouseUp

This worked to the extent that a file was created with the correct
name, but the file was empty.

For my third try I copied Dan Shafer's script very carefully--

on mouseUp
   ask file "Save list as..." with "Temp"
   open it
   write card field "daTable" to file it
   close it
end mouseUp

With this script I get an error message: "Chunk: error in object
expression" and no file is created.
If I make a slight change in this script--

on mouseUp
   ask file "Save list as..." with "Temp"
   open it
   write card field "daTable" to file it
   close file it
end mouseUp

I do not get the error message, but no file is created.

So, is there a way to do what I'm trying?

Thanks!

Rich Lague