Using angle brackets

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Sat Jul 17 13:27:56 EDT 2004

On Jul 17, 2004, at 12:41 PM, FlexibleLearning at aol.com wrote:

> Depending on the email client (AOL especially), such a format can be
> misinterpreted as a tag and simly become invisible on the page.
> Similarly, those
> that automatically apply an html tag to text can be rendered by the
> format as
> seen in this list.

I don't use AOL, though I do participate in many plain text lists.
Angle brackets are not only the accepted convention, but the most
reliable in such venues. Wrapping a URL in underscores makes the URL
invalid, wrapping it in parentheses is a hit-or-miss proposition,
especially if the email client wraps the line. A misinterpretation and
invalidation of a URL in angle brackets, if the message is sent
(appropriately) in plain text, is something I've never even heard of. I
could understand such an occurrence (I suppose) if the email were
inappropriately sent formatted as HTML.

To each his own though. I simply noticed that you were having some
difficulty getting the links to your (quite nice) Scripter's Scrapbook
tool to be successfully usable, and offered something that I learned
years ago works best and most reliably on such lists as this one -
particularly in cases where the URL is split by wrapped lines.

Cheers.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.