Menu Builder is causing big problems in my stack!

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Thu Jul 15 23:08:53 EDT 2004

> Has anyone else experienced infuriating, buggy behavior with the menu
> builder?  I read a post by François Cuneo that describes part of the
> problem.  The menubar I make (I'm developing in OSX) is improperly
> shown as having Paste as the first item in the application menu, File
> is empty, and Help contains Copy, I think.  What I made, using menu
> builder, should've had only Quit in the File menu (which would be
> moved to the application folder for OSX builds) and only Cut, Copy,
> and Paste in the Edit menu.
I've never heard of anyone else finding the menu items so totally
messed up but with OS X, there are changes made after you create your
menubars and you need to allow for them. The last 2 lines of the File
menu (a divider & Quit) are moved to the Application menu. Similarly,
the last 2 lines of the Edit menu (divider & Preferences) are moved to
the Application menu. If you don't have anything else in the File menu,
it will appear empty. If you only have Cut, Copy & Paste in the Edit
menu, Copy & Paste will vanish from there and presumably Paste will
appear in the Application menu. With the Help menu, the About item is
also moved to the Application menu.

Delete your menu and start again. Just accept the default menu and see
what happens. Now you can start customizing it, but leave the items
that get moved, in their correct places so that they and nothing else
get moved.

> Also, the feature that shortens the stack to hide the menubar in OSX
> is driving me nuts, running amuck and resizing the stack willy nilly.
> One time it chopped off 22 pixels each time I opened the stack, making
> for a nice disappearing stack.  Grrrrrrrr!
Yes, this is a long time bugbear. My current preferred option (& I
don't know if it works on non-Mac systems) is to make a separate stack
containing nothing but the menu. Do NOT check "Set as menubar on Mac
OS" but in your main stack use a line like:
	set the menubar of this stack to "Menubar 1"
You don't need to tell it which stack contains "Menubar 1", it will
find it if it is in a substack. Then you can edit the menus & their
scripts easily and avoid the whole stack resizing business.

Cheers,
Sarah