Q: using combo boxes

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Thu Jul 15 11:48:36 EDT 2004

At 10:19 AM -0400 7/15/04, Jim Lyons wrote:
>I am missing something really basic about using combo boxes. The
>docs mention several places that a combo box is like a field: it
>gets the openField message when the user clicks in the field part
>and the closeField message if the user edits the field contents. Of
>course, it gets a menuPick message if the user picks a value from
>the menu, and it automatically enters the value into the field. I
>see how to handle the menu pick, but not how to get or set the value
>showing in the field. The contents of the control are the list of
>options in the menu -- getting or putting into the control refers to
>the whole menu. How do I get/set the contents of the field?

To get (from "How to determine the current selection in a menu"):
   get the selectedText of button "My Combobox"

To set the field contents to one of the choices in the menu (from
"How to change the selected item in an option menu or combo box"):
   set the menuHistory of button "My Combobox" to 2 -- or whatever line

I actually don't think there's any way to set the field contents to a
line that's not in the menu from a script. (Does anyone know of one?)
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com