Best format for screen shots?

Troy Rollins troy at
Tue Jul 13 18:06:13 CDT 2004

On Jul 13, 2004, at 6:53 PM, SimPLsol at wrote:

> I have never worked with png files. I understand that they are like a
> "super
> GIF", similar format, more colors. Do you know if pngs are bitmaps? I
> would
> like a format that scales well.

PNGs are losslessly compressed bitmaps supporting 24 bit color and an 8
bit alpha channel, as well as having the ability to adapt to platform
specific gamma settings.

They do not support multiple frames in a single image as GIF does, and
are usually larger in file size than JPGs, but other than that, pretty
much have the edge over all the other (generic) bitmap formats.
RPSystems, Ltd.