Transcript keywords in expressions

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 13 13:31:37 EDT 2004

on 7/13/04 8:31 AM, Alex Tweedly at alex at tweedly.net wrote:

> URL is acting as a unary operator, at higher precedence than "&" - so the
> first statement is interpreted as
> URL "file:"   --> evaluates to empty
> & myFile    --> added to empty gives the file name
>
> Am I right or am I still confused ?

You are right. If you check the docs for URL you will see that URL acts
according to what is in front of the path to your file. What I mean is it
acts on a string. This: "file:" is all URL has to work with in your first
example and it tries to load it. After that is loaded it tries to add the
myFile string to the field. If you combine "file:" with myFile before
calling the put URL command then all works as expected.

Example:
put "file:" & myFile into zipZap
put URL zipZap into field "test"

> Do all the Transcript keywords operate at the same precedence ?
>
> Thanks
> -- Alex.

All commands and functions try to determine what you want to so you need to
watch what you mean when using "&" as an operator.

Sorry, I'm no good at this. Hope it helped some.

Mark

Mark

You