Rev's put URL vs. Director's getNetText

RGould8 at aol.com RGould8 at aol.com
Tue Jul 13 11:57:41 EDT 2004

I've been using Revolution to configure DSL cable modems and FTTP (Fiber)
routers.   I'm having issues with certain modems (Westell 2200 for example),
where a simple "put URL" command isn't retrieving the data that it should.
Instead, in Revolution, I'm getting a:

"the result = error socket is not open"

error when performing a put URL call:

global theURL

on mouseUp
     put URL theURL into x
     answer "the result = " & the result
     answer "databack = " & x
end mouseUp

"the result = error socket is not open"

I then decided to do an experiment by coding up Macromedia Director to do the
same thing:

global theNetID, theURL

on mouseUp me
   put getNetText (theURL) into theNetID
end

and then I go on to display the getNetText results, I get the appropriate
data every time.

What is different between Revolution's method of retrieving URL data, and
Director's?   More importantly, what can I do in Rev to make this work?   I'm
using Mac OS 10.3.4.   I much prefere Revolution to doing these types of apps - -
- I just need to figure out what's "under the hood" in Rev that might be
causing the "error sock is not open" problem.