purging a stack: the third way has been found

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 13 03:22:27 EDT 2004

Chipp Walters wrote:

> Oh, got it. Your plugin downloads the RevNet stack into memory and
> closes itself. So, you just hide GoRevNet and close it when RevNet closes?

I think you missed a few posts. I'll make this recap brief for the sake
of more interesting topics here. :)

GoRevNet is the launcher, RevNet is the download.  To minimize download
time the goal was to put as much as possible in GoRevNet, with commonly
used scripts and images that RevNet can use.

It's been working great for 99.9% of those who access it, but in its
year-and-a-half life cycle we've found four people who reported issues,
which turn out to be caused by a preference in the Rev IDE which allows
the user to override a stack's built-in destroyStack property, purging
it from memory even when that property is false.

My Bugzilla request #1833 (hopefully recognized as a minor request)
addresses the long term and offers an opportunity to simplify the IDE, a
worthy goal.

For the short term I'll make a new version of the plugin after Monterey
which will account for this IDE "feature".

Small issue....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation