purging a stack: the third way has been found

Wouter wouter.abraham at pi.be
Mon Jul 12 15:43:53 EDT 2004

On 12 Jul 2004, at 18:00, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Recap:
>
> There are two ways Transcript can purge a stack from memory: setting
> its
> destroyStack to true and then closing the stack, or using the "delete
> stack" command.
>
> In more than a year and a half RevNet has had only four users which
> have
> reported anomalies suggesting that the GoRevNet plugin is being purged
> from memory, but this could not be reproduced here and in most cases
> the
> issue had mysteriously gone away.
>

> The Third Way Found:  Preferences in the Rev IDE
>
> The mystery has been solved thanks to the dilligent sleuthing of Jacque
> Gay and Jim Lyons:
>
> There is a preference in Rev, under the "Files and Memory" section,
> which allows you to have a stack purged when the last stack in its file
> is closed.

And these radio buttons should use the word "purge" instead of "close".
Would be more to the point.

> This preference reflects the engine's behavior by default (no such
> behavior naturally occurs unless the destroyStack is true or a script
> under your own control comes into play), but apparently those few who
> have reported issues have turned that preference on.
>
> So one fix is simple enough:  stomach the hit to the download time of
> RevNet by replicating much of GoRevNet's scripts and libraries into
> RevNet itself.

Another simple fix is renaming GoRevNet and call it revGoRevNet.
Illegal but it won't be purged anymore.

snip

> So in short:
>
> Should plugins be recognized as IDE extensions and given the same
> exceptional treatment as other IDE stacks?

Is easy enough to accomplish by adapting the closestack handler of
button "revFrontScript"

> If there's some agreement with this view I'll Bugzilla this.....

Feature request?

> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Media Corporation