Arrays in Rev (long)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Jul 12 12:58:20 EDT 2004

On 7/12/04 9:45 AM, Troy Rollins wrote:

> I can't believe people are using arrays in any of the fashions that
> have been described - so therefore people are using some other means of
> storing and retrieving similar data types.

For temporary data, I use script-local and/or global variables. I've
never needed much of anything else. If a data set is all related, I
create an array that is stored in a script or global variable. If the
array needs to be more than 2-dimensional, then I either use Rev's
existing ("fake") structures, or I just create a second array. It
depends on what's most useful at the time. When possible, I prefer
script-local variables over globals just to avoid potential name-space
collisions in the future.

For permanent storage, I put things into custom stack or card
properties; if the stack in question is to be a standalone, then I
create a "prefs" stack and store data there. For simple data storage, I
don't bother with a stack and I just create a text file to store prefs.

Global and script-local variables have always been enough, I've never
needed anything else.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com