Sending AppleScript from Terminal to RR

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Jul 10 19:22:16 EDT 2004

Kaveh,

Here's a way to do it interactively from Terminal. The following simple
script activates Safari...

1) Open Terminal.

2) At the prompt type the following and hit return:

exec osascript <<\EOF

3) You should get a new ? prompt. Type each line of the script on its own
line and hit return. A new ? will show up for each line. When you have
finished typing the script, it should look like this:

? tell app "Safari"
? activate
? end tell
?

4) Now at that final ? prompt, type "\EOF" and hit return. Terminal will
execute the AppleScript and activate Safari. So your Terminal window should
look like this when you're done (this is from my Mac):

[PowerMacG4:~] kenray% exec osascript <<\EOF
? tell app "Safari"
? activate
? end tell
? \EOF
[Process completed]

Note that this "kills" your terminal window (the titlebar says "Completed
Command"), so you'll need to start a new shell window for other Terminal
commands after this has been executed.

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software