[Slightly OT] Setting up WinXP as webserver to test RunRev CGI

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 17:02:01 EDT 2004

At 7:31 am +0200 4/7/04, Terry Vogelaar (de Mare) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a Mac OS X machine set up to test my RunRev CGI scipts. It
>was quite easy to set up the build in server and install the Darwin
>engine on it, mainly thanks to the great tutorial made by Jacque.
>For the website I cooperate with some WinXP users. Does this
>platform have a build in webserver that can use an engine of RunRev
>as a CGI? Or should I let them install Apache?
>Any tips?

Late reply, but it may be useful.

You can install IIS on XP. I don't think it's installed by default
but it's on the CD (on XP Pro at least).

I've been running CGI scripts with IIS on XP for a long time with
very few problems. I use an older Metacard engine (cmc.exe), but the
Rev engine specifically for Windows CGI scripts should be fine. You
can get it here:

    <http://www.runrev.com/downloads/engines/2.0/cgi/>

You can place the engine anywhere on the XP hard drive. You then just
have to configure IIS to link the extension you use for the cgi
scripts to the Rev cgi engine. (In my case, I use ".mt") You do this
in the IIS administration utility. The general procedure is like this
(probably useful to read the online docs for IIS configuration before
starting):

   -- In the IIS Admin Utility, create a virtual directory for placing
your cgi scripts.
   -- In the Admin Utility, select the virtual directory and select
properties (File menu or right click??)
   -- Set the Execute Permissions for this directory to "Scripts and
Executables"
   -- Click the Configuration button (You will se a list of mappings
between file extensions and executables)
   -- Click Add
   -- Enter the path to the executable (or use Browse) and the
extension of your scripts (e.g. .mt). IMPORTANT After the executable
path add " %s %s". For example, in my case the path is:
F:\mc_cgi\cmc.exe %s %s

Then you're basically done. Just put your cgi scripts in the Virtual
folder, and that should be it.

Two points:

1.  The cgi scripts under IIS don't need the #! line that you use
under Linux/OS X (but will cause no problem if present)

2.  I've found it useful to add a short wait at the end of the
startup handler, like this:

     on startup
       ## usual cgi stuff
       wait 20 milliseconds