Documentation: best source?

Cubist at aol.com Cubist at aol.com
Sat Jul 10 15:35:02 EDT 2004

sez kaveh at focalimage.com:
>I am having difficulty finding what I want in the documentation. I have a
>hard copy of Dan Shafer's book, but that is not comprehensive enough
>without the future volumes. I find with the help menu I go round and round
>in circles. I can see lots of tips but I can't get to what I want.
>
>For example I am creating an options button and I need to know how to get
>the item selected. Where is the best place to look for that?
   I'd start off by looking for 'Properties' in the documentation. Can you
find any place where the properties are grouped according to object? Also, it
might be good to see if you can guess what the name of the appropriate property
should be. Since you're looking for "the item selected", perhaps one of the
properties whose name contains 'selected' -- and there's a few of them;
selectedLine, selectedText, selectedChunk, etc etc -- might be what you need.
   Hope this helps...