Bringing some Game Sounds into Rev

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Sat Jul 10 09:31:04 EDT 2004

JLG wrote:
> I just looked at this again -- it is really very nice, and has come a
> ways since the early version I last saw.
>
> I'd like to type notes with my left hand and durations with my right
> (from the keypad). Then I could type the whole midi sequence. I guess
> there would have to be some kind of octave toggle though.

Yes; I have used applications which map musical notes to the computer
keyboard (such as iPiano).  But I felt that the need to invoke keyboard
shortcuts to switch octaves is cumbersome.  I guess with enough
practice....
Maybe I'm just lazy; I already know the piano keyboard so it is
comfortable for me to click back and forth with the mouse to enter
notes and set the (less frequently changed) durations with my left
hand.  This would not work well for "live" recording (as with iPiano),
but is fine for step-entry (as with MIDI Builder).  Then again, to do a
lot of live MIDI data entry, a true external MIDI keyboard is probably
best.

KK