Documentation & Books

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 8 08:13:02 EDT 2004

Marian Petrides <mpetrides at earthlink.net> writes:

> On Jul 7, 2004, at 11:14 PM, Marty Billingsley wrote:
> > Er.....so how *do* you use the Search Documentation tool?
> The point wasn't how Mark or I use it, the point was how someone who is
> just starting out uses it. Sheesh.
>
> Or was that a real, not rhetorical, question?
A real question!

I launch Rev 2.0, go to the Help menu and see the following topics:
Revolution Documentation
Transcript Dictionary
Tutorials
Tips
License Revolution
Revolution Support
Check for Updates Online

Okay, the first item gives me the following options:
About the Documentation
Learning Revolution:
  For New Developers
  Tutorials
  Using the Free Edition
Using Revolution:
  Development Guide
  Transcript Language Dictionary
  Transcript Cookbook
  Troubleshooting
Application Reference:
  Menus
  Shortcuts
Finding Help:
  Glossary
  Additional Resources

Now, when I first started using Rev 18 months ago I did the tutorials and poked
around in the help, looked at a couple of recipes, browsed through the tips,
etc.  Found the Transcript Dictionary to be very helpful if I had a clue what
the command/message/property might be that I'm trying to use.  I've often
wished for a command that would search all available documentation for a
keyword, but haven't found one in the help items listed above.  Now I find
out from you that such a command exists!  Where is it? Why isn't it the
first thing in the help menu?

This is indeed a real question.  To rephrase, how do you get to the Search
Documentation tool?  (I'm sure I can figure out how to use it once I find
it....)

  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools