How to extract characters from the middle of a string?

Marian Petrides mpetrides at
Wed Jul 7 17:23:25 CDT 2004

No, but I did type "find character in string" and "extract character
from string" into the search box (the search documentation one, not the
transcript dictionary one--in accordance with the other discussion
going on right now, attempting to get the most hits possible.

And I tried looking up "string" in the printed dox.  Didn't think to
look up "character."