Documentation & Books

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Jul 7 17:15:01 EDT 2004

Judy-

Well, since I seem inadvertently to have started this off, let me take
a first stab at this:

An array is just a collection of things.

A simple example:

-- good form to declare a local variable
local strDayOfWeek

-- now let's use it as an array
on InitializeWeekDays
  put "Sunday" into strDayOfWeek[1]
  put "Monday" into strDayOfWeek[2]
  put "Tuesday" into strDayOfWeek[3]
  put "Wednesday" into strDayOfWeek[4]
  put "Thursday" into strDayOfWeek[5]
  put "Friday" into strDayOfWeek[6]
  put "Saturday" into strDayOfWeek[7]
on InitializeWeekDays

--Then...
put strDayOfWeek[6]

--or
function DayOfWeek intDayNumber
  return strDayOfWeek[intDayNumber]
end DayOfWeek

put DayOfWeek(6)

would give you "Friday"

As with anything programmatic, there are any number of ways to do a
given task - you can certainly do the above without using an array,
and using an array may not be the best approach for a given task. I
generally use arrays when I have a number of similar objects to keep
track of and I want to deal with them in a consistent way.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net