Documentation & Books

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 7 15:48:02 EDT 2004

Marian Petrides wrote:

> Richard
>
> My immediate thought was the same as yours.  But I was readily able to
> reproduce Mark's observation.  From the roadmap, just go to Transcript
> Dictionary.  There is a search box at the top. Enter "array." What do
> you get?   Nada, nil, nichts, nothing.
>
> The point being that the cognoscenti know to use the Search
> Documentation tool, but a rank beginner would not.
>
> I think Mark's point was that it is not inherently obvious that using
> Search Documentation will give you a lot more hits than searching the
> dictionary.

I agree wholeheartedly.  My point is that a user-to-user discussion
forum is less likely to effect the requested change than a communication
with those who have control over the product's design.

If someone has a question about arrays I'm happy to help. I learned
about them by making a stack, trying things out, making a lot of
mistakes, then tweaking my scripts until they did what I expected.  In
other words, I did what most programmers do to learn most things.
Almost no one writes blue-ribbon code first time out.

Just the same, if I can help people have a gentler learning experience
I'm happy to help.  When learning a new tool, most programmers I know
ask one question first:  "Where's the list?"

If the aim is to help RunRev make better documentation, it may be useful
to form a working group to draft recommendations.

If the aim is to solve an immediate problem, let's find out what the
problem is and get that person an answer.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation