Documentation & Books

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 7 12:29:01 EDT 2004

Wolfgang

This paragraph is OT :    Your post was highly fascinating to me
because I am the most left-brained person I know (highly verbal, cr*ppy
arithemetic skills).  I have always thought of gifted programmers as
being right-brained (mathematical, visual-spatial skills).  In fact,
I've met only one other programmer who looks at programming as I do: as
an exercise in comparative linguistics (verbal skill) rather than a
mathematical/logical skill. If I read your posting correctly, I get the
impression you are suggesting that programmers tend to be left-brained.
Or am I misreading??

But I digress.

In any event, I think you hit the nail right on the head when you said:

> They need, first of all an OVERVIEW of all this incomprehensible
> written details. They are looking for fast capture of the content -
> with one view. The most important thing for a right brainer is to know
> the content BEFORE he starts learning. Therefore they need an Index,
> to get this overview. If they dont get it and must learn from the
> documentation, they will be frustrated immediately. But we all have
> learned very early in our childhood: Avoid frustrations! If they cant
> avoid it or escape of all that frustrations, they will learn to hate
> rev. (As I have learned, hence I know what I m talking about), Because
> I m NOT a natural leftbrained programmer.

So, whether the user is right- or left-brained isn't really the issue.
What is at issue is how to get through to the people who do not think
as one does. And how to avoid turning off prospective users because
they get frustrated before they can get hooked.

>  Avoid frustrations! If they cant avoid it or escape of all that
> frustrations, they will learn to hate rev.

And that's exactly the point.

> Because of another project i have not much time at the moment, but if
> a lot of people are realy interested how my idea of a brainfriendly
> documentation could look like, I can do a small simple example.

I, for one, would be interested.