run Rev app on two networked computers?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Jul 7 00:22:24 EDT 2004

Kurt, et al:

>Solution #1) use files as semaphore to tag the locked status of the
>stack, keep sure that stack in memory equals stack in the filesys.
>PROS: your app is self contained. CONS: don't know, didn't think of
>any...
>
>Solution #2) use a webserver stack to store your data, client use
>data from server which is always right. PROS: you can make a general
>stack storage and reuse this webserver app for many projects, and
>also, this approach is nice and works. CONS: you must to build two
>stacks, a client and a server. The server must be running and
>accessible.
>
>Solution #3) use a RDBMS as storage, client loads and write data to
>the database. PROS: You build only one stack and this approach also
>works. CONS: you must be able to install and mantain a MySQL system
>(or something like it)

Solution #4) instead of having the two standalones vie for access to
the data stack directly, create a third server standalone that sends
data stack data to any requesting standalone(s) and files data in the
data stack for them.  This completely avoids data collision, and
locked record tables can be maintained in the server's RAM.  This is
the basic design used by SDB.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company