run Rev app on two networked computers?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Tue Jul 6 23:44:18 EDT 2004

On Jul 7, 2004, at 12:38 AM, Troy Rollins wrote:

> I can think of at least ONE CON - primitive file locking is...
> primitive. In the event that the lock file is not properly deleted,
> neither user can successfully work with the data until it is cleared.
>
> TWO, maintaining synchronization if both users are active can be a
> chore, since a user loads the data, and while working with it, the
> data is changed by the other user.

Troy,

yes you're right, I knew there was a good reason for we not to use file
locking the old way... I used this primitive method once but I added
content in the locking file which state it's creation date and time to
live, this way the stack could check if the file was a stray file left
from some crash or the like (I used this code on a hurry)... not the
best option either. You comments are very right and cannot be
neglected, using that filelocking mechanism I said could make Mr Kurt
loose valuable data, he should go with approach 2 or 3... we can help
him in both... the problem with the database option is: If he is going
to deploy this app to end users, requiring a working RDBMS installation
might be overkill... (in my mind I whisper: go webserver go!)

Cheers
Andre

--
Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004