Alternate to videoGrabber?

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Thu Jul 1 18:30:31 EDT 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 5:35 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> It seems to me a good idea to always do a 'test-bed' app before
> spending too many hours only to find a feature lacking.

I had. Unfortunately it was in Director.  ;-)

I shifted the program from Director to Rev for some much needed
features. After finding that VideoGrabber worked well enough in OSX,
and the docs claimed cross-platform compatibility... I made the dumb
assumption that (like most Rev stuff) it would actually be
cross-platform compatible. I hadn't considered the implementation would
be so dramatically different. But yes, I carry my share of the blame.
If I had done proper testing, I likely wouldn't be using Rev at all at
this point (because it would have failed the test), and to be bluntly
honest, wouldn't have upped my Enterprise license and bought two more.

I had thought of Trevor's external, but it sounded like a lot to ask. I
even went back to it looking for any related methods in the docs, in
hopeful desperation, but no, it doesn't do that at this point.

It's true, I blame only myself really. I probably shouldn't have taken
this route. But now that I have, I need to resolve this one remaining
issue.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.