populating stack with field

Cubist at aol.com Cubist at aol.com
Thu Jul 1 14:12:21 EDT 2004

sez bob at armbase.com:
> sez me:
>>    *E*V*E*R*Y*T*H*I*N*G* can be moved and/or resized at *A*N*Y* time.
>
>I was looking for a way to have the size an location changed after
>compilling ot a .exe.
>
>Does your system below work?
   The commands "set the location of ThisThing to ThisPoint", and "set the
rectangle of ThatThing to ThisRect", absolutely *will* affect *any* component of
a standalone. However: If you are indeed talking about an executable file,
any changes you make in this manner *will not* be preserved from one run to the
next. MacOS is one of the very few OSes which allows executable files to write
to themselves; since most OSes don't allow that to happen at all, Rev doesn't
let it happen even under MacOS. Therefore, what you want isn't *really*
possible -- but you can FAKE it.
   What you do is make *two* stacks, one of which is your honest-to-God
application. The other stack is a one-card jobbie, maybe nothing more than a
'splash screen', and *that* is what you turn into the actual standalone. The 'splash
screen' stack should have this command somewhere in it:

  open MyRealApp in this window

   If you jump thru this particular hoop, the benefit is that your real app
is "merely" a document, *not* an executable file -- and that means you *can*
save any & all changes that are made to your real app.
   Hope this helps...