displaying messages returned from "shell"

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Jan 30 14:42:20 EST 2004

On Friday, January 30, 2004, at 11:32 AM, Barry Levine wrote:

> I'm using the "shell" function to call some routines; creating a disk
> image is a good example. There is some verbose data returned which, if
> you use "answer shell(etc., etc.)" provides a dialog with -all- of the
>
> Is there a way to provide this feedback to the user as the individual
> user interface a bit. I'm thinking of, perhaps, a progress bar with
> some text so the user knows what's going on.

The "right" way is with 'open process'.  The last I looked 'open
process' does not work at all on OS X.  I tried shell() to a named
pipe, but have had no success, but that is probably my ignorance.  I
have tried using shell() to spin off a process, but I have not figured
out how to do that.  (I mention these, because someone might know how
to get around those.)

I have run processes from an external, but I have always waited for
them to quit.  I think there is probably a way to do this with an
external.

Dar Scott