Suppressing a message?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 30 09:15:16 EST 2004

--- Doug Lerner <doug at webcrossing.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> But... how do you know which are the messages that
> are blocked?
>
> For example, the following seems logical too:
>
> 1. lock messages (all messages are blocked)
>
> 2. delete graphic "a"
>     - graphic gets deleted
>
> 3. unlock messages
>     - messages continue again
>
> 4. the "unlock messages" took place essentially
> instantly after the graphic
> was deleted, but before the deleteGraphic message
> was sent (since it is a
> separate message that is sent when the graphic is
> actually removed from the
> stack).
>
> That is guaranteed not to happen ever?
>
> The lock messages locks all the messages *associated
> with* the deletion of
> the graphic, even if there are dozens of revXXXX
> messages sent out after the
> graphic is deleted?
>
> That is what I wanted to clarify.
>
> doug

Hi Doug,

The 'revXXX' messages only get fired when the 'XXX'
message gets sent -- it's a long story, but you can
find out how it works in the Rev IDE frontScript and
backScript.
So if you 'lock messages', the engine eats the
'deleteGraphic' message, and it isn't going to send it
to any other object either, which means the 'revXXX'
messages aren't triggered.

Hope this clarified it,

Jan Schenkel.

=====