Non-blocking way to open MS Word files?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Jan 29 19:57:58 EST 2004

Recently, "Dave Beck"  wrote:

> I'm writing a Windows app with Rev and need a way to open files with MS Word
> from a script in my app. I've been using the shell command with the
> parameter as the long path name of the file to launch Word and open the
> file. This which works well except that it is blocking, meaning that my Rev
> stack does not respond to mouse clicks etc. until the user quits the MS Word
> instance that was launched from my script!
>
> Does anybody know a way around this??

This seems odd.  I personally haven't seen this happen (maybe it's an issue
with shell) but that doesn't say much.

Two things you might try are 1) try "open process ..." instead of the shell
command, if possible, or 2) create a mini Rev "launcher" app whose sole
purpose is to launch your Word docs and then exit.  It shouldn't matter if
the mini app is affected by the shell lockup since the mini app is separate
from your app stack.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director