server load with Rev "net" apps

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Thu Jan 29 19:48:09 EST 2004

Hi All,

Le 29 janv. 04, à 22:12, Alex Rice a écrit :

> On Jan 29, 2004, at 1:07 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> As I understand it, yes, a separate instance will open with each hit.
>> I think Pierre Sahores figured out a way to keep the engine running
>> so this wouldn't happen, but I don't know how he did it.

True and if some one need more explainations, i can explain how to run
MC/Rev backgrounder (console or X11 modes under Linux, graphical mode
under Panther) applications servers binded, one side, to Apache trough
a PHP-based sockets listener and, second side, to PostgreSQL trough
shell calls to psql. I'm running such apps since years (08/2000) with
great benefits in both terms of processor's idle rate (mostly over 90%)
and concurrent accesses requests serving (one of those servers handle
an average of 40/60 connections/second 12/24 hours).

> It is just the nature of CGI programming in general. AFAIK Rev is no
> different than other languages like Perl, Python, TCL, etc. in this
> respect.
>
> Solution 1- Switch to an ISP than has more leniency for heavily used
> CGI apps.
>
> Solution 2- Stop using the CGI interface and switch to an application
> server environment, which generally run in persistently in memory.
> This would mean throwing out Rev and rewriting in another language.

Sorry Alex, you are mistaking in about solution 2 : the MC/Rev engine
is able to do lots more than the documentation describe, in about
TCP/IP n-tier apps. I did never use it in cgi-mode (because there are
some fine Apache modules availables for that - perl, php, python,.. -
and because i needed, at the begining, a solution to serve flat-files
databases over the web without having to reload the files at each cgi
call) but as i'm, on the other hand, handling
JBoss+Tomcat+EJB2+PostgreSQL solutions (Ecole pratique des Hautes
Etudes - Sorbonne, cases studies only) i can assure that the best of
the java world is not in the java's engines, but in the multilayers
design and dev tools (Eclipe and its great debugger, the EJB's
paradigm, UML,XML, object-relational databases mapping,...).

> A modified CGI environment might be able to run Rev scripts, but most
> ISPs don't offer such services as FastCGI or PCGI.
>
> modified CGI environment: FastCGI, PCGI
> apache DSOs: PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.
> application servers: ASP (.NET?), Java Servlets, Coldfusion, ZOPE.

As Apache on the webservers market or PostgreSQL on the ACID compliant
ORDBMS one, JBoss seems to be on the right way to eat WebLogic and
Websphere...

> Hope this helps,
>

> --
> Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com

Hope this can help ;-)

Best Regards, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores at easynet.fr

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:   +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:   +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:   +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de productivité"

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours