A Positioning Mystery

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Jan 29 13:22:03 EST 2004

>2. A resizeStack handler which changes the loc of the group, but
>does not address any controls in the group.

Clue 2:

The rect (and therefore the loc) of a group changes every time the
visible property of a group control with part of its rect outside
that of any other group control is changed.

In other words:

Open a stack with grouped controls in the Application Browser.

Click on a group name in the AB, and check its rect & loc.

Change the visibility of a group control whose left, top, right, or
bottom coordinate lies outside the bounds of all other group controls

Click on a group name in the AB, and check its rect & loc...they WILL
have changed.

I understand the justification of this...as far as mouse events are
concerned, the mouse should be considered outside the group when
outside its visible controls; however, until one understands what's
going on, it seems counterintuitive that changing the visibility of a
control should change the loc of the group of which it is a part.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company
http://www.oenolog.net/who.htm