[OY] PAD generators

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 29 01:27:09 EST 2004

Andre Garzia wrote:

> I've done some little research on PAD files, there are two "standards",
> there's the one windows uses that is generated by for example,
> padmaker, and there's the one MacShareware.net and others are trying to
> push to the mac community. The mac one is based on plist files which
> are very easy to generate, you can use plist editor from XCode/devtools
> or they make available a nice cocoa plist editor customized for MacPAD
> files... so you got this scenario:
>
> Windows PAD files  --- generated by padmaker and others, used by lots
> of download sites.
> MacPAD files - plist files not compatible with windows PAD generated by
> hand or by cocoa MacPAD utility. They also provide a nice "framework"
> for cocoa apps to read and check their own version based on those plist
> files, pretty cool.
> MacPAD --- FileMaked based utility that generate Windows PAD Files
>
> uh!? yes... there are two things named MacPAD, and they are not the
> same. There is only one site (that I know) accepting MacPAD files,
> thats MacShareware.net, and they are talking about the plist one. There
> are lot of sites accepting Windows PAD Files, but I think they do not
> distribute mac programs...
>
> guess what....
>
> URLS:
>
> MacPAD that generate Windows PAD Files made by Chicken Girl.
> http://www.chickengirl.com
>
> MacPAD plist sdk, assembled by MacShareware.net
> http://macshareware.net/sdk.html

I would hesitate to use anything othe than the original specification from
<http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/>.

If a handful of Mac enthusiasts feel inclined to fragment the standard to
better conform to an unrelated spec (plist) my concern is that the result
will only further marginalize Mac software from mainstream download sites.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation