ReportsPro

HyperChris at aol.com HyperChris at aol.com
Wed Jan 21 18:37:37 EST 2004

>>Hypercard to Rev Question ... Does Revolution have this capability?

Lots of us are in this boat and, unfortunately, it looks like Reports DataPro will not be coming over

I can offer you this, however ....
An alternative that some of us are pursuing (thanks to Bobby at ieEntertainment) is to use RichTextFormat (RTF) docs for the layout, custom tags for placing the data, and then our own engines to pump out RTF formatted reports.

To be more specific ...
 generate a layout in Word
 make up a tag system/language for where you want your data placed
 save this 'layout' as RTF
 when generating a report, Rev opens the layout
 your engine substitutes the data in for the tags
 save the document with an output name (it's still RTF)
 pop it open in Word for the user to preview/modify/print

Obviously this is more work on our part then slapping together a few fields and hitting save. However, it has a lot of potential. It gives the user editable output which is something one usually has to do with PDFs and the full version of Acrobat. Microsoft, in true Microsoft fashion, has also "embraced and extended" the RTF format substantially such that within the Word product you can do quite a bit of formatting and RTF will retain it.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, of course. Good luck !